Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Inspiration Please, Friends!


The children's bookcase I am working on. Where should I go from here?

Hi Folks! Tonight I have been busy painting this cute children's bookcase we picked up from the school next door to us.  Perfect for three home schooled children who love books.  

Today has been a really book themed day, actually.  I took my children to the little local library and they signed up for 'The Great Reading Race' competition which the library are running at the moment.  Then the kids chose about a million books to take home (hey, I'm not complaining...I would rather they read books than watch DVDs)  and then on the way home, we passed the primary school next door and lo and behold they were getting rid of all this school furniture. For free! Most of it was pretty useless, but we grabbed this cute little book shelf.  It even has cubby holes in the back to put more stuff inside!! 

My husband said 'We can just stick it in the garage to store things, it's pretty ugly'.  'Oh no', I said, 'I will paint it!'.  'Yeah right' he said, looking at me sideways with a smirk.  My husband knows my bad habit of not finishing things. We have a lamp sitting next to our bed with a half finished painted design on it that has annoyed him for years.  However, this time I was feeling very inspired.  I grabbed the paint, rolled the bookcase out on the grass under a tree (it has wheels too!) and my two eldest and I began to throw on some paint.  They (aged 4 and a half and 6) both now have pale purple acrylic tinges in their hair and the youngest was almost completely covered in paint splodges when he finished, but we had a great time.  It's all part of the homeschooling experience, right? 

Children's bookcase.  View from the front.

Children's bookcase, with books added.

Anyway Once we got the main colour on and they all went to bed,  it was brought inside for some details.  Here is what I have come up with so far.  What do you think?  I was aiming for a sort of 'books flying through the clouds and off into the distance' sort of effect.  These are just the outlines.  Now I need some advice.  What should I do next?  Should I add more details, some shading, some different colours? Should I paint over it and start again? Or should I just leave it the way it is?  I really am a bit stuck and need some inspiration, to prove husband wrong and finish the project.  Waiting eagerly for your comments!!

Regards,

5 comments:

  1. Maybe some text on the book pages from some favorite book? Maybe more shading on the books to make them the focal point... I really like what you have done so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your suggestions, flutehappy. Yes I think some more shading is a good idea, and the books definately need some more detail.

      Delete
  2. It's great! When full of books you won't see behind them I would work with some color on the front strips with words maybe ... 'I like to read" ... you will make it perfect!! I just love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's a good point, Rocky Cross. I thought of writing some reading related words on the design somewhere. The strips will be a good start. I wanted to add some colour too, as you said. Maybe a bit of yellow perhaps...complimentary to the light purple.

      Delete
  3. I love the colors. Maybe some titles on the books....possibly titles from some favourite books

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...