Monday, January 28, 2013

What the Heck is Spoonflower?


Spoonflower is a very cool website where you can design your own fabric and then they will print it and send  it to you (or other people can buy it too).  I have been working on a small collection of designs for a while now, and learning a bit about how to make repeated patterns (sort of like the same way they make wallpaper patterns).

One of my favourite designers at the moment is the very talented Valentina Ramos.  You can see her work here. I could just look at her designs for hours.

Designing fabric is really quite interesting, and a lot of fun once you learn how to do it.  You can take a single object, and change it about, coming up with many different colours and combinations.  Don't worry if you are not good at drawing, either...amazing things can be done with a digital camera or a scanner.

I have opened a little shop in Spoonflower, and my goal is to get some designs ready for sale.  The catch is you have to order a fabric swatch of every design you want to sell ( I guess it is sort of like a test to see if it will look good on fabric).  I would appreciate your feedback if you have time to take a peek at my Spoonflower shop.  It's the first time I have done this sort of thing, so any advice would be very welcome.

Regards,

4 comments:

  1. Love your fabric designs. I follow Valentina also. She is amazing!! Keep up the great work!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the designs my only comment would be the fabric's with a specific up and down like the tree's would be a little more difficult to use than the basic repeat. Having said that the tree's is my favourite lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for you advice, Leza. I am new to fabric design (and also sewing) and really appreciate your suggestions. Can you explain why fabrics with an 'up and down' design are more difficult to use? I will have to offer a basic repeat, that's a good idea:)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...